Brought To You By & Sponsored By
Thunder Bay NHL Alumni Hockey Game, Jan 31st 2017 @ 7 PM, Fort William Garden. In Support of the Law Enforcement Torch Run for Special Olympics Ontario
SCOTIABANK PRESENTS THE 2017 NHL ALUMNI BENEFIT TOUR! CELEBRATING 25 YEARS & RAISING MORE THAN $3 MILLION FOR MANY WORTHWHILE COMMUNITY ORGANIZATIONS INCLUDING SPECIAL OLYMPICS ONTARIO.
On Feb 1st 2017 at the Michipicoten Memorial Community Center in Wawa Hockey fans rejoice as some of the greatest names in NHL history take the ice to challenge the Wawa Media & Local All-Stars. The NHL Alumni game is fun for all ages and supports the Special Olympics Ontario and their mission “To provide year-round sports training and athletic competition for individuals with intellectual disabilities.” The star studded NHL Alumni roster will be led by NHL legends Tiger Williams, one of the toughest to play the game and the most penalized player in NHL history (3,966 min) in over 1,000 games played, Rick Viave, former captain for the Toronto Maples Leafs and 3x 50 goal scorer who registered an incredible 441 goals in 876 games in 14 seasons and Denny Lambert, a former Sault Ste Marie Greyhound and a daring and vagarious enforcer playing in 504 NHL
games and netting 27 goals, 66 assists and 1,391 penalty minutes! Our ambassador for the game is Walter Gretzky, father and teacher of the great Wayne Gretzky. He has been named the father of hockey. Just to name a few of the highlights of the rip-roaring players to be featured this Feb in Wawa!
• He also carried the Olympic Torch during the Torch Relay for the 2010 Winter Olympics
• Our game official for tonight was an aggressive defenceman that played 11 seasons in the NHL with Los Angeles, Chicago, New Jersey and the Toronto Maple Leafs racking up over 1700 penalty minutes during his pro career
• He would go on to play close to 1000 NHL games with the Leafs, the Canucks and the Kings where he became, and still is, the NHL’s all time leader in penalty minutes
• During his 14 seasons in the NHL he registered an incredible 441 goals in 876 games
• He would go on to play 800 games in the NHL where he became a two time All Star and the winner of the hardest shot competition.
• He is an NHL All-Star and a 3 time Stanley Cup Champion with the Edmonton Oilers
• As an unsigned free agent he relied on his tireless work ethic to achieve his dream of playing in the NHL where he played close to 500 games for Anaheim, Ottawa, Nashville and Atlanta
• This Alumnus played 12 seasons in the NHL and in 2001 he won a Stanley Cup alongside Ray Bourque as a member of the Colorado avalanche
•Pelyk was a smooth and solid all round defenceman that played 9 seasons for the Toronto Maple Leafs leading the defensive core in scoring during the 1973-74 season
• He was named to the NHL All Rookie Team in 1983 and was a fan favorite in Toronto for his gritty style of play during his 8 seasons with the Maple Leafs
• During his NHL career he played for Detroit, Philadelphia, Ottawa and the Toronto Maple Leafs
Joe Sgro was a former minor league goaltender who served as a trainer with Team Canada 1972.